TL;DR; The tickets are here.
The idea has always been to connect the Finnish tech community with the international one by bringing speakers from abroad. Incidentally our conferences also attract attendees from abroad so they are truly international ones.
Freezing Edge will take place on 1st of June 2020 right after a week of React Finland. We hope that developers coming to React Finland find Freezing Edge as well and we want to especially attract developers outside of the React community.
Focus on Future Tech#
Given the experience we have running tech-focused conferences, we decided to try something different. Instead of focusing on a specific technology, Freezing Edge has focus on the technologies of the future. Ideally we should be able to show you what development is like within the next five to ten years.
Because of this, we'll have a broad range of topics from programming languages to extended reality, audio, and graphics. In this one day conference, we'll have around eight to nine speakers discussing the topics.
By doing this choice, we acknowledge that as developers we have a lot to learn from each other in different domains. Often we tend to form tight tribes of our own and therefore narrow our view. By being aware of what's going on in other domains, we can extend our skills and knowledge while gaining inspiration for our daily work.
Interactive Live Coding#
To make it interesting, we'll avoid the tried and true presentation format. Freezing Edge is held in a live coding format. You should expect 30-45 minute sessions where the speaker will perform within the agreed theme.
To make the experience more interesting for everyone, we'll do our best to find ways to make the sessions interactive in such way that the audience input can shape the content.
The format is a challenge for our speakers as you cannot prepare as well as for a regular talk. It will take nerves of steel to perform at Freezing Edge and I believe we've found a great cast to make it worthwhile.
To give you an idea of what's to come, consider the following speakers and topics:
- Ken Wheeler will launch the conference on the theme of audio. Ken is a developer turned hip hop and synthwave producer. You might remember him from the first edition (2018) of React Finland.
- Tero Parviainen, a Finnish developer known for his writing and work around audio and AI will continue from there. Most likely we should expect something AI related.
- George Mandis, an American freelancer and a GDE, will focus on machine learning and painting with computer.
- Patrick Stapfer, one of the founders of Reason Association, will give us a whirlwind tour of ReasonML, the emerging web development language.
- Bodil Stokke will show us the power of the Rust programming language.
- Natalia Tepluhina, a Vue.js core team member, will most likely dazzle us with RxJS.
- Krista Jäntti, Lead UI/UX designer at Varjo, will show us what's possible to achieve with extended reality these days.
The speaker list isn't final still and likely we'll do a couple of additions closer to the conference. Expect roughly nine speakers, though. Especially in a concept like this, it's important to give enough time for each speaker as performing is challenging due to the infamous demo effect. Things will likely go wrong at some point but often that's the salt of a session as then you'll see how to recover from the situation and learn in the process.
To end the conference, we'll organize an afterparty. Although there will be likely drinks, we'll guarantee you can have a good experience without.
We hope you'll come join us in the first edition of Freezing Edge. The pricing begins from 99€ and you can buy tickets now.